Since upgrade macOS to 10.15 Catalina, 32bit applications are no longer supported. It causes mac user some inconvenience to continue use legacy applications. A typical case is the Mikrotik RouteOS management and configuration tool winbox cannot run on macOS anymore. The main reason behind winbox not able to run is related to a windows application simulation tool wine (winehq) is no longer supported by Catalina.
To solve this issue, there’s two ways.
- Get a Winbox macOS version directly from https://joshaven.com/resources/tools/winbox-for-mac/ – Be aware, this is not an official release and some limitation. It needs to wait for new release after Mikrotik winbox update.
- A small trick to let wine continue to work under macOS Catalina. See instruction below.
- Download latest Winbox from offical website https://www.mikrotik.com/download, please choose winbox (64-bit)
- Move winbox64.exe to /Applications/ folder
- Download XQuartx 2.7.11 from https://www.xquartz.org/releases/XQuartz-2.7.11.html and install
- Download Wine Stable 5.0 from https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html (Wine Dev/Staging version may have some compatible issues)
- Please choose Wine Stable 5.0 installer not the tarball which will cause idiot Symantec SEP client lot Heur.AdvML.B report.
- Install Wine Stable 5.0 and choose 64-bit support during the installation
- Open macOS Automator app and create a new application
export PATH="/Applications/Wine Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin:$PATH" wine64 /Applications/winbox64.exe
- Save the created Automator application to the Desktop for example
- Now double click the Desktop Automator icon, it will bring up Wine. The first start up, it will install couple components (mono and gekco) of wine required.
- Idiot Symantec SEP client will report /Users/xxx/.wine/drive_c/windows/mono/mono-2.0/support/installinf-x86.exe as malware (Trojan.Gen.2). You can just ignore it or uninstall Symantec SEP client. macOS does not need Symantec.
- Your winbox is ready to use now.
- Optional: Right click the Automator application and get info, you can change the logo from there.
As wine requires XQuartx, and XQuartx hasn’t been updated for almost 4 years, there’s a security vulnerability within XQuartx. Please refer https://www.xfelix.com/2020/04/fix-xquartz-sparkle-vulnerability/ to address the issue.